Our ProfileWhat is the Current Picture of YCFCU?
The union has spontaneously grown and now currently represents:
28 Cooperatives Unions with over 45,036 farmers supporting over 350,000 Family members.
All these cooperatives are located in Gedeo, an area found in the southern part of Ethiopia. This area is in a region that is famous for coffee growing in the country. These 62,000 hectares gardens that are dedicated to coffee alone and on average produce 3,500 tons of Yirgacheffe green bean coffee each year.
The union has played a very important role in the front to improve the Livelihoods of all its members because in the past when it was not yet established, the existent primary cooperatives then, would not be able to get finances to conduct the coffee business on their own. Due to the debts incurred in the past because of political interference and governance factors, the majority of the cooperatives were struggling financially and could not in any way gain credibility to access financial support from lending financial institutions. The story has now changed. Currently the union tries to solve these problems and manages the primary cooperatives to be credible to financial institutions and also helps members build capacity to become stable and have enough working capital for their businesses sustainability.
- There are 28 cooperatives embracing more than 45,036 member farmers
- All are certified for their Organic and fair trade and are members of other standards agencies.
- Member cooperatives are monitored by the Government to meet basic required standards for international capabilities.
- They have a total Production area of over 62,000 Hectares on organized organic gardens.
- Have a total annual production of over 35,500 tons of Green Beans.